Monday, November 1, 2010

Breaking All the Rules!

“Life is either a great adventure or nothing.” ~Helen Keller

By society's standards, I should be married, have two beautiful children, own a home in the suburbs and drive a minivan to the job of my dreams. However, I think I took a wrong turn on the road to the "American Dream."  Instead, I am 30 and single. I don't own a home, but rather am the proud owner of an enormous amount of debt. Three years ago I moved across the country to Portland for my career, but I never got the promotion I was working towards. And I love my niece to pieces, but I am not cut out to be a mom right now because I can't even keep a plant alive, let alone a child.

With all that said, I wouldn't change a thing about my life. I love who I am, I cherish the experiences I have had and I have some of the best stories to tell. 

However, I have found myself at crossroads in my life. I had a few things happen in my personal life that made me take a step back and look at the big picture. I asked myself some serious questions. What do you want to accomplish?  What kind of person do you want to be?  What is something you have always wanted to do and haven't been able to check off your bucket list? When I asked my myself these questions, it didn't take long for me to see the answer and thus formulate my plan. I have decided to break all the rules and embark of my biggest adventure of my life.  

I recently turned in my letter of resignation and I am moving to New Zealand in January of 2011. I am not going for a job, I am not going for love...I am going for me!  I am so excited to see what life has in-store for me.  This blog will be not only a way to document my adventures and share them with family and friends, but it will allow me to express myself as I encounter new opportunities and challenges.  I am going to write and be the author of my own story.

1 comment: