Friday, November 19, 2010

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

When I turned 30, I decided to create a list of 30 things I would do before my next birthday. I did a pretty good job of checking some big things off my list. I ran a 15k, walked the Portland Marathon, saw Jimmy Buffett in concert (and rocked a pencil thin mustache) and in less than a week I will visit New York City for the first time of my life!

I have had an amazing year...probably one of the best years of my life!  People close to me (including my family) have told me that this is the happiest they have ever seen me. I think this is because I am finally figuring out who I am and what makes me tick...and I am becoming comfortable with that, even when others don't agree. New Zealand for example...I would say 50% of my family and friends think I am crazy, while the other half (and typically those who know me best) realize that this is an adventure of a lifetime and it is exactly what I am meant to do with my life. I also think that I love my life so much because I have formed some deep connections with like-minded people and I have had a blast rockin' life with my friends.

Since my birthday is only a few months away and with my big move on the horizon, I realized that I either needed to revise my list or admit defeat! Aut viam inveniam aut faciam! I shall either find a way or make one!  So I decided  to add a few BIG items and make it my goal to accomplish this entire list by the time I am 40. This gives me a solid 9 years to check everything off my list...I think I can handle that!


  1. Move to a foreign country
  2. Visit New York City
  3. Go to a Jimmy Buffett concert (*October 19, 2010)
  4. Meditate in a buddhist monastery
  5. Volunteer & something meaningful
  6. Play ball on the 50 yard line
  7. Pacific NW Wine Tour (*February 15, 2010 & May 29, 2010)
  8. "Hood to Coast" - Play in the snow & then jump in the ocean (*February 28. 2010)
  9. Run an 10k (*Ran 10k on January 3, 2010)
  10. Attend Oktoberfest in Munich
  11. Run 15k (*March 14, 2010 - Portland Shamrock Run)
  12. Visit Vancouver BC & Vancouver, Washington
  13. Get a tattoo
  14. Write a book
  15. Surf
  16. Hike Mount St. Helen's
  17. Take a pole dancing class (*July 27, 2010)
  18. Try Acupuncture (*January 14, 2010)
  19. Walk the Portland Marathon (*October 10, 2010)
  20. Eat pasta in Italy 
  21. Go wind surfing
  22. Go horseback riding
  23. Stay in a haunted house/motel
  24. Snowboard in the Alps
  25. Run Half Marathon
  26. Go back to school
  27. Sell a painting
  28. Run a full marathon
  29. Drink a beer in a pub in Ireland
  30. Visit all 50 states

No comments:

Post a Comment